The History of Ravenshoe Steam Railway 'Capella'

Ravenshoe Steam Railway evolved from the company called RAILCo, which grew out of the closure of the railway line between Ravenshoe and Atherton due to the declaration of World Heritage Listing of The Wet Tropics in 1988.

Construction of this line had commenced in Cairns in May 1886 ostensibly to service the mining town of Herberton. By June 1891 the line was opened to Kuranda. "The Herberton Railway" reached Mareeba in August 1893 and rested there for 10 years. The next stage, to Atherton was commenced in 1903 and reached there in August that year. The extension from Atherton commenced in 1908 and reached Herberton in October 1910. The line was extended to Tumoulin in 1911 and eventually to Ravenshoe in 1916.

RAILCo was formed as a company in 1988 by a group of steam enthusiasts, to preserve the historic railway line. Mr. Roger Perry-Keene was the first President, and the loco that was in Atherton is named after him. RAILCo found a D17 class steam loco residing in Amaroo Park at Capella in Central Queensland. The Peak Downs Shire donated the loco on the proviso that it be named 'CAPELLA' and it was transported by road to Ravenshoe on an oilrig transporter on 10th November 1989. The restoration was under the control of Walter Dixon, and the group had it operational again after three months intense work. It was first steamed up on 7th May 1990. The Earl family, the developers of Millstream Estates obtained the 1930's carriages, and at that time the train was named The Millstream Express. The first official journey of the train was for the Torimba Festival celebrations on the 20th October 1990.

The train runs from Ravenshoe to Tumoulin, over high wooden trestle bridges, through open forest to Tumoulin, the highest railway station in Queensland at 3165 (feet) 964.7 meters. Ravenshoe Steam Railway is a non-profit Company, managed and operated totally by volunteers, and we thank you for your patronage and for helping us to preserve our piece of history.

De geschiedenis van de stoomtrein in Ravenshoe

 

Ravenshoe Railway Company Limited  is voort gekomen uit RAILCo dat is opgericht door een aantal enthousiaste mensen in Ravenshoe(spreek uit: Ravens-hooo) die een voorliefde voor stoomtreinen hadden.


De aanleg van de treinrails tussen Cairns en Atherton en vandaar naar Herberton werd aangevangen in mei 1886. Dit was voornamelijk om een snelle verbinding te hebben met de mijnen in Herberton waar tin , koper en lood werden gedelfd.

Nadat het trein traject tussen Ravenshoe en Atherton werd gesloten omdat dit gebied tot het Wereld Erfgoed ging behoren in 1988 en houtkap werd verboden in het gebied is er gezocht naar mogelijkheden om Ravenshoe een bestaanrecht te geven.

De oprichting van de historische stoomtrein werd een fantastische toeristen trekpleister. De eerste president van deze vrijwilligers organisatie, Roger Perry-Keene heeft samen met Grahame West en David Ryder het mogelijk gemaakt dat er een D17 stoomlocomotief uit Amaroo Park te Capella in midden Queensland naar Ravenshoe werd getransporteerd.

Deze locomotief is compleet gerestaureerd en geresiveerd onder leiding van Walter Dixon en op 7 mei 1990 blies Capella

haar eerste stoom uit. De Earl familie die Mill Stream Estate aan het ontwikkelen waren stelden de wagons uit de jaren dertig ter beschikking en de eerste rit tussen Ravenshoe en Tumoulin vond plaats tijdens het Torimba Festival, festival van het hout, op 20 oktober 1990.


De stoomtrein rijdt van Ravenshoe naar Tumoulin over hoge houten bruggen door prachtig

eucalyptus bos. Tumoulin is het hoogstgelegen station in Queensland en ligt op 964.7 meter.

Ravenshoe Stoomtrein is een vrijwilligers organisatie, het traject en de trein met wagons wordt compleet onderhouden door

vrijwillgers. Met dank aan iedereen die wil helpen en heeft geholpen om dit stukje geschiedenis te conserveren.